Tuesday 21 February 2012

Art College: Exeter Visit

 The visit to Exeter today was a very useful exercise. Admittedly  we didn't have much time to peruse the art or long, but it gave me the opportunity to find my way around the city so that when I visit again I will know where to go. I don't know Exeter at all, but I will now return on the train in the near future to re-visit the Museum and Phoenix Gallery , and also take the opportunity to photograph the many architectural features in the city, and take a walk on the riverside. It will be good to spend a whole day there. 

The photographs of Margaret Cameron and William Fenton were on show at the Museum, this was the main exhibit I wanted to view today. I wasn't disappointed. 

Clinton Parry Esqre’, 1868. Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879)



Queen Victoria (1860)


Queen Victoria's Target by Roger Fenton


Another exhibition at the Museum was the "Into the Light." Walking through this gallery space I was struck by the colours, and freedom of expression that I felt on viewing them. I especially love paintings that are completed in the landscape and not in the studio. These have a wonderful sense of uninhibited brush strokes and drew me into the scene.

A painting that particularly appealed to me was Studland Beach (1912). This had the effect of stopping me, and wanting to look more deeply into the scene.
There is something intriguing in this painting. There is a great deal of negative space here, the two girls on the left corner are only shown from the shoulders up and the four subjects on the right have their backs to the painter. the title of the painting is a little ominous to my eye. The painting holds many questions.

Another of Vanessa Bell's paintings I found on line which is a beautiful view out of a window. windows and doors hold a fascination for me.  She was recognised as part of the Fauvism Movement.
Portrait of Vanessa Bell



No comments:

Post a Comment