Wednesday 1 February 2012

Adding

During the past two months I have been de - cluttering our home, but today I seem to have taken a step backwards. I attended an Auction this morning at Shobrooks in town, and although I only went there to pick up some cheap frames to use for our exhibition in March I actually bid for and won four items. That wasn't at all what I had intended to do.

I bid and won a Metronome, I have wanted to replace one that I had lost several years ago during a house move, but had resisted paying too much for one. So today I bid up to £12 and won it. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Typical. Now I have wasted £12 on an item that doesn't work and is no use to me. So what will I do with it?

My other winning items were a book of old postcards, a leather bag full of music and another box of old postcards of churches that I'm not sure why I bid for.

I am searching for inspiration for my major final project as I have a mental block at the moment. But really, why did I let temptation overcome sense. I don't know. The only way I can stop myself from being tempted is to defer from attending auctions. But I did have fun, I enjoyed the spirit of the auction, the hammer slamming down after the final bid and the thrill of having won an item, even if it was totally useless.

Today I went into the auction cold, I hadn't viewed the items first, I just got carried away by the excitement I feel about the upcoming exhibition we have in March, wanting to find the right frame for my central piece and just enjoying the moment. So maybe I shouldn't beat myself up for having wasted a little money because I did enjoy the experience, I had fun, I interacted with the people there, and maybe it will give me inspiration at some point in the near future.

I'm convincing myself of this because I know I now have the bug and I will be searching for other local auctions.

Before I finish I just want to add that there was a piano at the auction that I bid on but didn't win. This was fortunate as I have no way of transporting a piano, and the item has to be taken within 24 hours of the session. I have no idea what condition the piano was in and this makes me grateful that I didn't win it, (thinking now of the metronome). But it has made me think that I really would like a piano and when I consider the items I did win, the bag of music and the metronome, I think my subconscious is telling me something. Music is a good resource to inspiration. I can play the piano but haven't done so for many years and I think it would be beneficial to play once again.

The theme for my major final project is family, memory, object and landscape.

This is the artist statement I wrote last week:-

I am exploring objects of memory and the connections linking the past to the present. It is my intention to convey my belief that those who come before us have an influence on our lives within those objects of memory. I am exploring how everyday objects become part of our inner life, and researching the philosophy of the objects and the inner self.
Using my love of nature I link family, object and self, with the landscape as a platform for my photographs.

Experimenting with Object, Memory and Landscape



No comments:

Post a Comment