Tuesday 28 February 2012

Hannah Guy

‘My practice is situated between photography and film. The point at which the still appears to become a moving image fascinates me.’
— Hannah Guy
http://www.lensculture.com/guy.html

With Thanks http://www.hannahguy.co.uk/ for this image

Today's lecture was given by Hannah Guy who has recently returned to the South West from Canada. She said that her life, art and photography are integrated; I have recently felt this to be the case in my own life. I do not feel separate from my art and photography, I feel less like a student and more a creative practitioner.

I found Hannah's lecture very relevant to my own practise, and was interested in the artists she mentioned who have influenced her work. She named David Casper Friedrick, Mondrian, Rodney Graham and John Hillier. I have only previously heard of David Casper Friedrick whose paintings I discovered when I was looking at Elina Brotherus work. I look forward to researching the others.

Another useful resource mentioned was the "Singular Images Essays on Remarkable Photographs" by Sophie Howarth.

Hannah's practise includes lost and found objects which she said allows the past to talk to the present, along with collection cabinets, family history and photographs and letters. These are all objects that have come to the fore in my own practise. For my final major project this year I am continuing with my research into the object and the self, and also the philosophy of Duality looking at opposites such as light/dark, lost/found and absence/presence. These are all concepts that I find fascinating.

Our final major project will culminate in the making of a book, Hannah suggested we look at the website photoi.net

After the lecture we had a short seminar and were able to discuss with Hannah, who has experience in curatorship, our up and coming exhibition. She asked how our work links together and gave us some tips on topics we should add to the speeches we have to give on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment