Sunday 13 November 2011

The Comfort of Things

This is a book by Daniel Miller (2008) which is listed on our Contextual Reading List. Normally I don't sit and read our academic resource books from cover to cover, but this one is different.  I have read three of the essays so far and I am thoroughly enjoying them. They are "Empty" "Full" and "Home and Homeland." There are thirty essays in total and I'm looking forward to reading all of them.

Empty is an essay about George, a 77 year old man who lives alone in a flat, has no possessions, no keepsakes or mementos around him, no cherished memories to make him sad or happy. There are no photographs, no ornaments or nick knacks, nothing to gage what kind of person he is, no hints as to what his life has been about. And this is the tragedy of George's story. There have been very few interventions in his life. From childhood he has been dictated too, his parents were strict authoritarians who allowed him no freedom, friends or space to use his imagination. After the death of his parents, he lived in an institution where his meals were cooked for him and his life once again was ruled by those he both relied on to take care of him, and who dictated his every move. He had no independent thought process to enable him to live a life of his own. At the age of 77, George finds himself living alone in a flat and has no idea how to deal with this.

The emotion I felt on reading about George, was an overwhelming serge of sympathy and sadness, and a feeling that a precious life has been wasted because no one had guided him or shown him that he was allowed to live his own life and that it could have been so full of riches in all manner of ways.

Instead George waits for his time on earth to end when in fact it has never really begun. This is truly a heart breaking story. It made me feel so appreciative of the life I have.

A few objects of my own that I cherish because they remind me of people and places.

A Picture Collage of Memories and Time


My Mother's Tea Set, 
 a gift given to her for her contribution to The Concert Party she played the piano for.

Music filled our Home

No comments:

Post a Comment