Wednesday 23 November 2011

New Collection

We have each been asked to bring in a box and make a new collection for this week's session. I procrastinated for a few days, but was unable to think of anything that I could or wanted to collect.

There may be more than one reason for this. Firstly I have been trying to "declutter" my home of the  "stuff" I already have and my spirit was a little unwilling to bring more "stuff" into our home. Another reason is that everything I have collected over the years has a meaning attached to it. A memory of a happy time, a sad time, a memorable time etc, so that the object becomes more than just a "collection." I do have objects that I bought purely because I liked them when I saw them. But to collect something just for the sake of collecting did not seem to appeal to me.

As I pondered over this dilemma as to "what should I collect, "  I decided that I would place photographs that I have taken this week, into my box. My whole being at present is focused on the two deadlines we have in approximately two weeks time, and as this work is part of me, and I am enjoying the process of photographing and contextualising my imagery, I felt that these photographs were appropriate to bring in as my collection.

The themes for my two assignments are "Longing." and "The Circle."  I have been shooting on both 35mm and 120mm film as I am developing a greater love for film; my preference for digital experimentation is waning. The subject matter for my imagery is more suited to film. It evokes a feeling of "times past."  I have a love of landscape photography and of colour, I find the colours of transparency film unbeatable. I also love to shoot in Black and White film, I have chosen Black and White for my Narrative Assignment.

The first assignment is to be in colour, one a landscape image, the second an interior image including myself as the figure. In the imagery, I hope to reflect my longing to go home, my sense of belonging to Wales, and to my ancestors who have always been part of the Celtic Culture. For my second assignment I am shooting in black and white film, it is an eight image narrative based on a similar theme to the first assignment, but following the story of my family using objects our in the landscape.

These are some of the images I have shot

Barbed Wire

A Letter from Mam

Reflecting the Land

Four Generations

No comments:

Post a Comment