Friday 11 November 2011

Evocative Objects

I have chosen to study Evocative Objects for my Contextual Module. I'm interested in how we attach ourselves to things and objects, and how this is linked to memory and nostalgia.

I am not a collector, but I am most definitely a hoarder. My mother used to believe that you should keep everything for seven years, and if in that time the item or object had not been used, then it was acceptable to throw it away. This belief has remained with me; if I do throw something out, I will admonish myself if I then find some time later, before the seven years have passed, that I need that object.

I do not like throwing anything away, although sometimes I do force myself too. If I didn't our home would have no room for us. Its funny really because I don't like chaos, and I need space to work and think, so all this "stuff" that I have, does occasionally have an adverse affect on my creativity. Hey Ho ...what can I do.


This is a mirror I inherited when my father died in March 2010. I don't know how old the mirror is, but I do know that it has been in our family since my grandparents (on my mothers side) were married in the early 1900's.

I am currently experimenting with the mirror as an object for a narrative that I am working on for one of our projects.
    

Our first session with Maddy was both interesting and thought provoking. I thoroughly enjoyed the activities and discussions. The group shared a little information about each other by describing our notebooks and pencil cases.

The key word in the sessions was "phenomenology." I have not understood this term yet but I will research the word and its meaning. Edmund Husserl (1859 - 1938) is a philosopher whose work Maddy suggested we look at.







No comments:

Post a Comment